Thursday, December 28, 2006

Pisces paradise

Hey everyone,

I realised on day two that Siem Reap is a Pisces paradise. I had this revelation as ash and I were negotiating our way though an intersection on our bikes. There was no structure or organisation to getting through intersection, you just kind of go in the direction you want to get to and avoid knocking into any one else on the way, it makes perfect sense to me. No messing around with traffic lights, keeping left or getting in the right lane to turn right, you just go for it. I feel at one with the traffic over here. Ashley on the other hand turns several shades paler each time we approach an intersection. when I got back to the guest house and looked as the way ash has packed her back pack in comparison to the way I packed mine I understood why the intersections make sense to me but makes Ashley look like she's going to be sick.

Everything here looks beautiful, maybe it's just because I'm used to boring western design but even the taxi's are decorated beautifully. the markets are colorful the food places are charming and the landscape is green and lush with lots of lakes with amazing water plants & pink and purple lily’s growing on top.

Siem reap also smells divine. It smells different in different places but always beautiful. Well all except for the fish market ... but they do say Pisces love seafood.

As Ashley has already told you we've spend most of our time here visiting the Angkor temples, eating, drinking incredibly cheep beer and shopping. Angkor Wat was really amazing. Of course I appreciated it for its incredible history, beauty and tranquility...... but I also did enjoy getting around pretending I was Lara Croft in tomb raider. See mum I knew playing hours and hours of video games was actually cultivating my appreciation of ancient history. Ashley had to stop me from pushing all the bricks to try to find the button that would release the bridge that would get me over the water to level 2.

While Ash stayed as close as she could to the dunny for the best part of the day, I sat drinking lovely fruit cocktails and reading in a lounge called le tigre de papier. I'm reading a book which I bought over here about S21 and the killing fields. Lots to say on that topic but I think it's best left for another time. Heading off by bus to Phnom Penh tomorrow. Not sure if we'll have internet connection where we're staying but we'll try to stay in touch

Vinda - thank you so much for organising the accommodation for us and please thank your dad too. So much to talk to you about when I get home!

Ann E- Looking forward to catching up with you all soon! I think my only advice on packing would be don't pack too much (more room for shopping!) But don't forget mozzie repellant, sunscreen & lots of face and anti bacterial wipes there quite expensive over here.

I know ash has already mentioned it but it's worth mentioning again, Last Christmas played as we ate our amok christmas dinner..... amazing! Oh yeah... and the Malaysian Smiths fan, that was hilarious, he sang "the more you ignore me the closer I get" to me ha ha ha smith fans of the world unite!


Happy New year!

lots of love
Lara

3 comments:

matt said...

pictures. we want pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great Laura! Cant wait to hear all about it. Can u post photos? Chat when you get back. Love Victoria xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'll try to post pictures not sure if the technology is up to it here though, what do you want...the series of me pretending to be lara croft? ash negotiating the intersection? or just lots of pictures of amok in different restaurants? Actually Ashley didn't mention that one night in Siem Reap I had an amok devastation, five different types of amok in five cute little banana leaf bowls all in the one meal. beef amok, pork amok, chicken amok, shrimp amok and veg amok It was amazing. That picture is going next to my bed when I get home.
laura