Friday, January 19, 2007

ho chi minh hospitals

so the story of our holiday is rapidly becoming the story of my failing health. oh well. yesterday was really just a long bus ride, although we did stop a small ethnic minority village where they produce weaving. we gave the kids there a soccer ball that had been bought with intentions of playing soccer on the beach that never eventuated. the kids got great joy out of this, which was great - except that the older boys were pretty good at hogging the ball... some things are the same the world over. there was also another cheaper plastic ball that we gave them, but a nearby monkey chained to a tree grabbed it when it went astray and quickly sunk its teeth into it.

so yes, then in the evening i went to a fancy western 24 hour clinic, and had all sorts of wacky things done to me, like having my pulse and oxygen saturation checked. they gave me plenty of ventolin and actually monitored my response oooooh fancy. eventually they decided that i should stay overnight to keep on the nebuliser every four hours so they could monitor my response, but instead they agreed to lend me a small portable nebuliser so i could go back to the hotel. we both probably would have got more sleep had i stayed at the hospital, but i'm sure i would have paid dearly for the privilege!

anyway i went back this morning and i seem to be on the improve (although i'm not exactly cured) they gave me a bunch more medications, which hopefully will assist, and i'll probably go back on monday before we fly out to check that i'm good to go. right now the most painful part is that my stomach muscles are sore from all the coughing.

after coming back from the hospital i went and had a quick bite to eat with the apheda people, who'd just said goodbye to the rest of the cycle crew as i got back, it was nice to hang out with them and get a chance to chat.

this morning i have also just been and found the most perfect excess luggage bags ever - stronger better versions of the stripey cheap as chips bags. so good! i might be able to get all my stuff home yet... if malaysian dont charge me for every kilo!

anyway, thats all for now.

No comments: